What you need to make a balloon hat:
- A balloon. If you don’t have a pink one, any color will do. The bigger the better, but please note that if your head is bigger than 17″, it won’t fit. If so, you’ll need two balloons and some extra materials (see step 7).
- A sharp object, like a needle or a knife.
- Some thread or ribbon (optional).
How to make a balloon hat:
- Blow up the balloon and tie it off. Make sure it’s nice and round, with no wrinkles.
- Cut the top off the balloon, making a hole.
- Stretch the balloon over your head, making sure the hole is in the front. The balloon should be hanging down in the back.
- Cut a small hole in the bottom of the balloon. This is where you will put the sharp object to make the holes for the string.
- Carefully push the sharp object through the balloon, making two small holes (see picture).
- Take off the balloon and twist or tie a piece of thread or ribbon around each hole, to keep them from closing up.
- If your head is bigger than 17″, you’ll need to use two balloons. Blow up one balloon and tie it off, then cut off the top and stretch it over your head. Make sure the balloon is nice and round. Now blow up the other balloon (you can use a pump if you like) and stretch it over the first one, making sure that all of your head fits into the holes (the second balloon should not be tied off).
- Push sharp object through both balloons at once, making four holes total (see picture). Now tie your thread or ribbon around the four holes to keep them open.
- Take off both balloons and put on your new hat! You may need to adjust how tightly it fits by bunching up the string between your fingers to tighten it up or pulling on both strings to loosen it.
- Enjoy the party!
NOTE: Some people prefer to double knot the string instead of tying it off because the knots are small and don’t stick out as much. However, you have to be extra careful when making adjustments to the fit!
Don’t forget to show me how yours turned out. 🙂
If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment. I hope that this tutorial helped you in some way.
Thanks again for stopping by and don’t forget to check out my other tutorials!